Friday 24 March 2023

My attempt at hand quilting

I had put out the word that I was looking to learn how to hand quilt, and last Friday, I was invited to join a group of ladies for a morning of hand quilting.  If you've been reading my posts for any length of time, you all know that I am a longarm quilter, but I love the look of hand quilting.  As my husband phrases it, the turtles pace method.

I really admire those who have the patience to hand quilt a full size quilt.  There is just something about hand quilting that is so special.   The little tiny stitches and the texture that you get is unbeatable. 

These ladies have a frame set up, currently at someone's home.  They gather together once a week to hand quilt, primarily charity quilts, or sometimes for a special gift.  When I was invited, I was so excited and brainstormed how I was going to do this.  In my brain, I thought I couldn't possibly practice on their actual quilt.  I didn't want to take a chance of ruining it.  So I made up a little sandwich about 20" square and put it in a hoop.


I brought all the tools and gadgets that I purchased over time in anticipation of learning to quilt.  Most of which were not required.  The ladies all keep it simple with hand quilting thread & needle, plus thimble, small scissors and some form of tweezers.  That's it!  Like any hobbies, there are a lot of other gadgets that one can get, but most are unnecessary.  I did bring a Baptist fan stencil and a water soluble marker to make my marks on the fabric.  In the group, each person would take the time to do the markings on the top prior to bringing the top to be quilted.

Above is the picture of my hoop after a mornings worth of hand quilting with a tea break in between.  The picture below is the back of the hoop.  My stitches in the back are smaller than the ones on the top, but other than a few missed stitches, they are pretty even.  I was taught that first consistency is the goal and later smaller stitches.  It turned out not too bad.....  I think I am hooked.....lol.  I'm going to practice some more, before I pull out my quilt that I have basted, ready to be hand quilted.


Have a great morning ladies with your hand quilting.  Know that I am thinking of all of you and wishing I was there!!

2 comments:

  1. You are welcome. It was a pleasure to meet you. Happy quilting. Brenda

    ReplyDelete