Saturday 2 June 2018

Recently quilted a customer's bright and cheerful hourglass quilt

A few weeks ago I quilted a customer's bright and cheerful hourglass quilt.  I held off showing it until I had a chance to delivery it.  Unfortunately,  the colours in the picture do not do this quilt justice.  The colours in real life are more vibrant, though stop short of being blinding.  

She made this quilt for her grandson.  I think he is going to really like it.  The quilt was made primarily with bright solids with some playful fabrics thrown in.  All the playful fabrics match the colour way that she chose to use for her solids and they are all kid oriented themes.  There were some puzzle pieces, race cars, and waves in different colour ways.  It's almost like an I spy quilt.   


All this pretty colour was bordered by a thin border of navy blue, which acts like a frame around the colour.  It turned out beautiful.  I enjoyed working with these more modern colours.

For the quilting, I thought to keep it simple, not to distract from the hourglass units.  Waves are really in these days, but I didn't want to do just regular waves.  I wanted to update them a bit to match the mood of the quilt.  My goal was to also ensure that all those seams were anchored down to withstand a lot of washing.  

So I played on my tablet and came up with these elongated alternating waves.  I test proofed the pattern by passing it through my 15 year old son, to make sure it was kid approved.  I throw in another wave pattern as well, just to see if my thinking was correct.  It was!  As soon as he saw the patterns he disregarded the one as being for a kid under 10 years of age and said the second one was sharp and that he'd agree to have something like it on a quilt for himself.  That was all I needed to know.


I chose to quilt the pattern in a medium blue, heading toward the denim colour but just a bit brighter.  Up close it looks great!  I love the way the quilted waves comes in and out of focus, depending on what colour it is running through.  When it goes through the blues it fades out some and on the yellows or oranges it's more vibrant.  

This is definitely a pattern I will use again!

No comments:

Post a Comment