Monday 4 June 2018

June's American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge quilt

While I continue to quilt my Bear Paw quilt, now going on 3 days, an accumulated 24 full hours, of custom freehand and ruler work, I think about finishing a couple more customer quilts and getting started on this month's quilt.

My quilt for June's American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge is a wild and goosey 3" block assembled in paper piece.  This is a scrap user from Bonnie Hunter in her column in Quiltmaker magazine.  It certainly uses up small scraps.

Bonnie did hers completely scrappy, but I have decided to do mine a controlled scrappy.  I chose blue for all the geese, white for the background, yellow for the tail end of the geese row and green for the larger triangle corners.  Below is a single block and four sashed to complete a larger block.


Once I have all the blocks together, I plan to use a green cornerstone where the green triangles come together and likewise a yellow cornerstone where the yellow triangles come together.  The whole effect may be lost, I'm not sure, as so far I only see it in my mind, but when assembled the whole top will have small blue shoo flies, small yellow shoo flies and larger green shoo flies, with the geese flying between them all.

So far I have gathered my blue, green, yellow and white on white scraps.  I have all my papers together and I am ready to start sewing.  I should be able to do this one without using any yardage.

I will continue to work on this all month, but considering how small these blocks are and how many there are to do, I am not anticipating a quilt top finish this month.  Wish me luck though.

No comments:

Post a Comment