Saturday 9 June 2018

Progress on the mini log cabins

Yesturday I did my one that I needed for both this log cabin and the wild and goosey.  I am able to just about make one block in 15 minutes.  One log short of finishing one, in the 15 minutes.  So yesturday when I worked over time during my breaks and with a half hour break between, I was able to make five blocks altogether.  I am really getting into these cute little blocks.  The log cabin has got to be my favourite of all of the blocks out there. There is just something about them that I can't resist.


Today I didn't do my one block yet, but I did put the small blocks together into a large 12" finished block.  I love how it is turning out.  This is going to be my setting.  When these are put together side by side, they make an alternating dark square with a light square beside it, all across the quilt.


I am also calling this quilt my insanity quilt, because these little squares have 12 logs surrounding a red hearth.  Each log is just over 1/2" finished.  That means that in this one 12" finished block, there are 208 pieces.  Wow!!!  You see.....insanity.

As I mentioned in my last post, I've made a list for both of the blocks.  By doing this I am making it a challenge or my way of playing a game to keep me motivated.  I've always been a list person and crossing things off motivates me.  Helps me see my accomplishments.  

Below are the two lists for making one block each per day.  I've just started this toward the beginning of the week, so we are light on black cross offs,  but over time this will get done.  The pink squares are the days that I don't need to make any.


From time to time I may share with you my charts.  I hope you will enjoy seeing my progress and watching these charts turn black.

Some people do a block a month to make progress on there applique blocks, but for me with these tiny blocks I need to be a little more aggressive with one per day, or more if I can.  If anyone out there is struggling with getting a UFO completed, maybe you may want to break it up into smaller bits and pieces.  Like I am doing.  Remember slow and steady wins the race.

Enjoy your Saturday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment