Thursday 4 August 2022

Three quilts with three meters of fabric

I've been sewing up a storm these past two days.  Had some time off work.  Nothing to write about at the moment.  Been doing a bit of this and a bit of that.  Taking stock of what I have to do and what I can do in a reasonable amount of time.  Since my last post, I got another quilt binded and a top complete with an assembled backing both ready to go on the longarm once I have a chance to quilt it.

So, in the meantime I thought I would share a fast quilt method.  This method uses 3 coordinating meter cuts to make three different looking quilts.  I saw this method many years ago, but don't know from where or by whom.  The way you do this is layer the three meter fabric pieces on top of each other.  Clean up the two cut ends to ensure the three layers are the same size.  Cut off the salvages on each side.  Start cutting a 10 1/2" strip off the right hand side for the full length and repeat this for the left hand side.  Try to leave all the pieces together in the same placement and lined up at the edges.  Now you are going to cut 10 1/2" off both the top and the bottom, similar to what you did for both sides.  At this point you should have an irregular shaped nine patch.  Take the top fabric of the centre and place it at the bottom of the pile.  Lastly, take the top two fabrics of the corner pieces and place them as you have them underneath the remaining pieces.  

What you should see now is that the four corners, the centre and the four borders are different from each other.  The four corners are the same, the four borders are the same and centre is on it's own.  Sew the top layer as you would a nine patch and repeat for the following two layers.

Ta da! You now have 3 different quilts.  The quilts will measure approximately 40" square, or in my case 40" x 48" as I had a bit more than 1 meter each.

These quilts started out as a challenge to use up the striped musical instruments fabric. I added the grey fabric which has multi coloured polka dots which remind me of musical notes and the orange was one of the colours in the musical fabric.




All three were quilted on the same backing fabric and quilted together with the same design.  The design looks like the musical notes on a music sheet.  It is kind of cute.  I finished these last month.  Once I get the recent quilt finishes binded by hand, I'll post pictures.

I changed out my leader/ender yesturday and got a lot done while working on the last couple of quilt tops.  I'll try to get pictures to share shortly.  

Enjoy your quilting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment